Safe to Fly – The changes made at Heathrow
Heathrow is excited to help you explore the world again.
Heathrow may feel a little different than last time you travelled but our priority has, and will always be, to ensure the safety of both our passengers and colleagues. We’ve continued to enhance our precautionary measures whilst you were away to keep the UK’s only hub airport safe.
Our assistance services are still available for use at Heathrow. We have put in place additional measures to protect those using our services which include:
- Perspex dividing screens installed in our motorised buggies
- Enforced social distancing in waiting areas
- Disposable protective jackets for those assisting passengers with sight loss so that passengers can take their elbow or shoulder safely for guidance
- The AIRA app is also available for those who would prefer navigation assistance through the terminal without an agent
- Limited the number of passengers that can be transported together in the one assistance vehicle
- All wheelchairs and buggies are disinfected after every use
- Provision of "Face Covering Exempt" cards and hidden disability sunflower lanyards
Other measures in place at the airport include:
- Mandatory use of face coverings by colleagues and passengers
- Enhanced cleaning processes including UV robots and anti-viral technologies
- Dedicated COVID marshals to enforce social distancing
- Hygiene technicians to regularly disinfect the terminals
- 600 hand sanitiser stations
- Perspex barriers for frontline contact points
Heathrow was also recently awarded the 4* COVID-19 Airport Safety Ranking by Skytrax – the highest ranking achieved by a UK airport.
A recent passenger travelling from Heathrow to America said:
“The service at Heathrow was absolutely excellent. The staff were all exemplary, always kind, courteous, professional, and caring. I fly to and from Heathrow often (I’m American), and this is the third time I have used your assistance service and I will definitely be back again as it’s always a very positive experience. All in all, I thank you so much for providing this service and for having such a fantastic staff of people there.”
Comments about our colleagues: “I cannot say enough about your staff at the assistance centre. Every single person made me feel so cared for. As I have already stated, very helpful, professional, and caring. There is nothing they could’ve done better.”
For more information, please visit Accessibility and mobility help | Heathrow
Visit ‘it’s everyone’s journey’ to find out more about the campaign and the support services available.
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.